Sunday, September 27, 2009

Foodie Scientists who Juggle


Our clients never fail to surprise me...

My first contact about Dana and Idris' wedding was with Dana's fabulous parents via conference call. They were doing the preliminary planning for their out of town daughter and her future husband. Their daughter and her fiance were both scientists, both "foodies" and the cake, above all, had to be delicious.

We set up samples for Dana's parents, and then a design session during Dana's next trip home. At the appointment I learned that there would be a "double happiness" character on the wedding invitations to honor the groom's heritage. I also saw pictures of Dana's beautiful wedding dress. What struck me instantly, was that the embroidery on the gown looked incredibly, like molecule models. No wonder why our scientist-bride was drawn to it!

By the time we put together the dress embroidery, double happiness, and fabulous color scheme of deep orange and red, we had a beautiful cake.

They narrowed the cake flavors down to our Fiore de Cecilia cake and our Brownie cake (only substitute dark chocolate ganache for the fudge filling) we exchanged email links between our exploding kitty cake and Dana's good friend's exploding sink/jello plume (scientists like to blow things up, just like cake ladies) and we were all set.

Now, I knew these people were fun. But when I got to the wedding to set up the cake, I got to see something I've never seen in my 13 years of cake deliveries...juggling groomsmen! How fun is that(mind you, only fun because it was in a completely different room than the cake)? They were warming up while waiting for photos to begin, but would move outside for the real show later that night. I've seen bored, fidgety, nervous, even slightly "alcohol enhanced...happy" groomsmen in my time, but never a room full of juggling groomsmen. Needless to say, I enjoyed a bit of their antics once the cake was set up. I would have loved to stay for the show, but alas, all good cake ladies are but a puff of powdered sugar in the air by the time the guests arrive. By then, we're at home juggling the remote control, a bowl of popcorn and a food obsessed Westie...now that's my kind of trick!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one fabulous creation!!!!

SweetThingsTO said...

Absolutely stunning detail!

Dana said...

I'm sorry I didn't get to see you at the wedding (although a couple people did manage to get photographic proof of your powdered-sugar-existance!) Thanks again!

Ernie Schrepfer said...

Was glad to meet you at the wedding. I'm one of the Groomsman who took your photo and invited you to juggle. Everyone enjoyed your art and thought that there whould have been more cake to serve. Look me up on Facebook and I'll get you a copy of the photo.

Evil Cake Genius said...

Hi Dana, your dad let us sneak a peek while you were having photos taken. You looked amazing! It was a pleasure to work with you and your family. Keep in touch, and be sure to let me know of any good explosions!
Robin